Tonido Shell 1.4.0.37494 (Plug/Windows/Linux)

Questions related to developing on the Tonido Platform
facelessuser
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Tonido Shell 1.4.0.37494 (Plug/Windows/Linux)

Postby facelessuser » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 pm

Now Available on Market! :D

The 1.4.0.37494 is the latest. It will be submitted to market soon, but it make take a while before actually available on the market due to the lengthy market process. A lot of work has gone into bringing this to you for Tondio. If you like the work and find this application useful, consider donating. You can find a donation link in the About Dialog of the application. Enjoy. :D

Screenshot:
Screenshot.png
Tonido Shell 1.3.0
Screenshot.png (85.97 KiB) Viewed 12175 times

Prerequisites:
You must have the latest Tonido for Windows/Linux/Plug which has PHP support

****Universal 1.4.0.37494****
Please follow the respective instructions for installation below.
Universal Tonido Shell 1.4.0.37494

PLUG and Linux

Install:
  • Install from market
    • Go to Manage Applications Page
    • Click Install tab
    • install Tonido Shell
    • Enable App
  • Install Manually
    • Download Universal Version Above
    • Upload to plug
    • unzip in /root/app/tonido/plugins for the plug and /usr/local/tonido/plugins for linux (delete old tonidoshell directory if necessary)
    • Enable app if not already done in application menu

Plug and Linux Notes:
  • PHP does not really have an open session on your plug. This is important to note, so no interactive scripts or applications can be run through this. You can run scripts and commands etc, but they should be able to complete in less than 30 seconds; if they don't, the execution time of PHP exceeds and the page will issue a server error and cause the Shell app to hang until the command finally finishes. If you need to run scripts that take a long time, or you want to run something as a background service that will not terminate, disable response by clicking the icon in the status bar, or selecting it from the menu. This will allow you to issue commands and skip getting their output since they will be redirected to /dev/null and will keep the app from hanging. Theoretically you could also wrap your commands like so (command) > mylogfile.log 2> mylogfile.log so you can retrieve the output from the log file. I have not tried this, but it should have the same result.
  • If the shell is hanging because you forgot to turn off response or redirect outputs to a file, close internet browser completely to kill session. Log back in, and via the terminal, kill the process you launched that hung the PHP session.

Windows

Install:
  • Install from market
    • Go to Manage Applications Page
    • Click Install tab
    • install Tonido Shell
    • Enable App
  • Install Manually
    • Download Universal Version Above
    • Unzip in Tonido Plugins directory(delete old tonidoshell directory if necessary)
    • Enable app if not already done in application menu

Windows Notes:
  • PHP does not really have an open session on your plug. This is important to note, so no interactive scripts or applications can be run through this. You can run scripts and commands etc, but they should be able to complete in less than 30 seconds; if they don't, the execution time of PHP exceeds and the page will issue a server error and cause the Shell app to hang until the command finally finishes. If you need to run scripts that take a long time, or you want to run something as a background service that will not terminate, disable response by clicking the icon in the status bar, or selecting it from the menu. This will allow you to issue commands and skip getting their output since they will run the commands in the background ignore their output.
  • Commands can be chained using standard cmd shell command chaining. example:command1 && command2, but due to a limitation with php interacting with the windows command shell, you cannot chain a change directory command to another drive; it will not work as expected. I suggest that instead you just use absolute paths for commands or create a batch file doing what you need and launch it. This is not a problem on linux servers, but it is on windows.
  • Commands such as c: do not work; you must use cd c:. This may be addressed in the future, but it is not critical to functionality.

Plans for future:
  • Integrate Tonido tasks (maybe share folders, and other useful things).
  • File dialog that will show image thumbnails (for background change etc)
  • stripped down UI for mobile (android/IOS)
  • Menus that work better on touchscreens? Help make current UI more manageable until a more simple interface for touchscreens/mobile is in place)
  • Others that I think of

Repository
https://github.com/facelessuser/TonidoShell
Last edited by facelessuser on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:40 pm, edited 49 times in total.

geeknam
Super Tonidoid
Super Tonidoid

Re: PHP Shell Beta 1

Postby geeknam » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:33 am

Yay like finally !!! It's awesome. I'm loving it. Just tried running screen but it didn't work. Anyways, it's pretty much more than enough. Great job !!!

For those who got it hang and restarting Tonido doesn't help, try this:

Code: Select all

kill -9 `ps -aef | grep php5-cgi | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`

facelessuser
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby facelessuser » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 am

geeknam wrote:Yay like finally !!! It's awesome. I'm loving it. Just tried running screen but it didn't work. Anyways, it's pretty much more than enough. Great job !!!

For those who got it hang and restarting Tonido doesn't help, try this:

kill -9 `ps -aef | grep php5-cgi | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`

This should be unnecessary.

You need to kill the process hanging PHP not PHP

kill -9 `ps -aef | grep <process_name> | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`

Also you can delete the sessions in

/root/app/tonido/approot/profiles/<your_profile>/plugindata/phpshell/sessions/

Both ways should solve the hang. Your PHP session is hanging because it is waiting for a response but never gets it and will continue to wait until it gets one or the session dies. Killing the process it is waiting for is sufficient, or terminating the hung session.

That is why you turn response off or redirect stdout and stderr to /dev/null or a file on commands that don't exit after launching or take a very long time to complete. If you leave response on and try one of these commands without redirecting the output, you will have to physically do one of these to restore functionality. I am probably going to implement a shell script that runs the same time a command is issued if response is enabled. If the script times out and sees that the process is still hanging, it will just kill your session. Either that, or I will create a simple page to kill sessions manually.

Edit: Clarification, when I say the app needs to respond to not hang, I don't mean it has to have an output. Usually when process end, they return at least an EOF which is sufficient. When a program keeps running and doesn't exit, there is now way it can return an EOF, hence the hang.

Edit: Clean up typos and rephrase statements correctly
Last edited by facelessuser on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Here are some names:
Web Shell
Web Prompt
Web Runner
Tonido Shell (If I may be so bold :-)

madhan
Admin Tonidoid
Admin Tonidoid

Postby madhan » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:38 am

I just downloaded and tried it, works quite well!
Nice work. I like it.

I think you should definitely get this app into our app store.

saiot
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby saiot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:09 am

When I install it and try to start it from the menu I just get a gray coloer background ind goolge crome or white ind IE eny ID what I nede to do ? to get it to work

facelessuser
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby facelessuser » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:02 am

saiot wrote:When I install it and try to start it from the menu I just get a gray coloer background ind goolge crome or white ind IE eny ID what I nede to do ? to get it to work

First off, you need to be using this on the Tonido Plug. This is probably obvious, but I want to make this clear that I do not guarantee it to work on windows yet.

Next, you must be using the latest version of Tonido on the plug: 2.12.0.12708

Are you on the plug with the latest version?

facelessuser
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby facelessuser » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 am

madhan wrote:I just downloaded and tried it, works quite well!
Nice work. I like it.

I think you should definitely get this app into our app store.

I'd love to get it in the app store. What exactly do I need to do to make that happen?

saiot
Regular Tonidoid
Regular Tonidoid

Postby saiot » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:58 am

facelessuser wrote:
saiot wrote:When I install it and try to start it from the menu I just get a gray coloer background ind goolge crome or white ind IE eny ID what I nede to do ? to get it to work

First off, you need to be using this on the Tonido Plug. This is probably obvious, but I want to make this clear that I do not guarantee it to work on windows yet.

Next, you must be using the latest version of Tonido on the plug: 2.12.0.12708

Are you on the plug with the latest version?

yes it 2.12.0.12708 and I have it on my tonidoplug but the os it on a usb stik cant it have som whit that ?

facelessuser
Tonido MVP
Tonido MVP

Postby facelessuser » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:25 am

Not sure what your issue is yet, I want to check some things first.

Do you see a PHP folder in /root/app/tonido/?

If there is a PHP folder then ssh into your plug and enter this:

ps aux | grep php/php5-cgi

Post your result here. I want to see if PHP is running on your plug.

Return to “Tonido Platform Development”